Treasure Island

We got free tickets through our homeschool group to see Treasure Island at Hale Center Theater. I grew up in a family that valued theater and music so going to a play makes me so incredibly happy. My children do not value theater and music despite my absolute best efforts to introduce them. It is maddening. 

We followed the instructions they sent and we ended up sitting on the second row. (YEAH!!) So there we were, second row, me loving it and them tolerating it. I had never seen Treasure Island and did not know what it was about, but let me to tell you... It. Was. Awesome!!! There were pirates, there were battles, there was so much water, there was treasure, there was an island. It was the first play I had been to since covid and it was so great! 

Cue intermission: the protagonist, Jim Hawkins, had taken the treasure map and gotten the pirates attention. The pirates were trying to convince him to hand it over and instead he told them to go to heck (he did not say heck), grabbed a rope and cannonballed (!) into the moat of water directly in front of us!!! We were drenched. I lost my freaking mind! My arms went in the air and I started screaming with absolute abandon and joy. My children 100% did not share in my abandon or my joy. Instead they looked mildly annoyed and completely confused. They kept asking me why I was so happy when we were so wet. The answer is... Life. I LOVE life. I love adventures. I love being present. And in this case it meant immersing myself in a world with pirates and intrigue and deception and being totally and completely soaking wet.



We only have one life. One. I made a commitment to myself as a teenager that I would live my life fully, no holding back. I hope my kids choose to do the same.

Comments