Greatest snow on earth?

Here is our marriage in a nutshell. I get an idea. Steve says no. I say yes and explain all of the reasons why it is going to be amazing. Steve says no and tells me all of the reasons why it is not going to be amazing. We have discussions that lead to major fights for days/ weeks/ months/ years. I eventually do the idea anyway. Steve immediately sees how amazing the idea is now that he can see it in action and wonders why we did not do it sooner. I frustratedly say "I told you so". And that is how we do it.

This story has not yet progressed to Steve being completely on board but mark my words, he is going to love it. My family moved to Utah one week before my sophomore year of high school. It was a culture shock in every possible way. Ultimately it was an enormous blessing and I have had amazing experiences here but it was hard those first couple years.

When I was in high school Deer Valley Ski Resort opened and honor students were offered free season passes. I was an honor student and got season passes but I never used them because had no friends to show me the ropes and I had no idea how to live in a world with all of this cold, wet, icy, snow.

Through the years I have tried to get Steve to go skiing with me. He has come up with every reason in the book not to go. Cost, time, interest, etc...So here I am... In my forties... Still haven't skied. I recently learned that we could go with our homeschool group at a significantly reduced rate. *Please refer to the start of this post to know how Steve and I work through differences of opinion. We are to the part where I do it anyway.*

Today I purchased our season passes and rented our gear. Steve is reluctantly doing it with us because he does not want to be left behind but let it be known he 100% thinks I have lost my mind and this is another ridiculous endeavor and will be a complete flop.

By contrast, the kids are living their best life and cannot wait to hit the slopes. 

Me? I'm wondering if I have 100% lost my mind. I have thought of every worst case scenario. Going down a snowy mountain with no brakes seems asinine; plus I hate snow, being cold, and heights, but we are doing this. Advertising has told me I live in a state with the "greatest snow on earth". I'm not getting any younger. No regrets.

 

Comments