State Fair 2021

We made it to the State Fair! The State Fair was completely different than the County Fair. We thought the County Fair people were serious...nope. It is the State Fair people. Though for a second we had our hopes up, it was quickly apparent there was no way we had a fighting chance at winning anything. So we just decided to enjoy the experience and go along for the ride.  Because of covid Steve stayed home with C while M, J, D and I took care of the animals and prepared for and participated in competitions. During downtime we roamed through exhibits. We even stopped at the butcher's table to learn what would happen to our goats. Yep. That was hard to hear. Another highlight was family coming to support us. Thank you! 

Washing the goats.



 
Helping them get used to their surroundings.

 
Getting ready to show.

 
Second place is misleading. Blue ribbons are where it's at.

 
Family.




 
Meanwhile...Dad and C's adventures included eating out and seeing Lightening McQueen.

 
Whenever we would enter the pens D would call out to Sonic who would immediately 
jump on the fencing and start hollering back at him.

 
It was always a warm reunion.

 
Lots and lots of love.

 
Letters the kids wrote to the people that would buy the goats.



My main concern at the end of all this was saying goodbye to Mocha, Sonic, and Tom Brady. We have spent hours each day for the last several months caring for and loving these goats. 

And it was all ending. 

The kids showed their animals at the auction one final time where we learned that all three would be sold for meat and only had a week or two left to live. I fully expected there would be tears. And there were, but not for the goats. 

It was time to pack up our stuff before our final goodbyes so I sent M, J, and D in one direction and I went another so we could get our things more quickly. Within five minutes all three of my kids came back to me shaking and in tears.

When I asked the kids what was wrong they told me that when they had asked to pass three older white women to get our things these women, in the meanest and nastiest way possible, told them they were not allowed to pass and needed to leave now. My kids were confused and tried to respectfully say they just needed to grab our things behind them and the women grew even nastier and told them to get out of here. At this point a hostile younger white man in their group told M, J and D to get out of here because they weren't allowed in this area. (Which was completely, totally, utterly, false.) 

My children, shocked, shaken, and devastated, ran to find me and I was furious with myself for not protecting them. I was well aware that for the last several days these women had been savagely glaring at us and disdainfully looking us up and down every time we were in their vicinity. I was also well aware that they were friendly and jovial to other (white) children. I decided to tell myself that these women were not racist and tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

It was now obvious my earlier suspicions were correct. I should have warned my children what to look for. I should have pointed out the looks of hatred earlier. My children need to be aware of their surroundings. Naively, I wanted to protect them from what could happen but instead I didn't protect them from what actually happened. I won't make that mistake again.

When I walked over to get our stuff the women glared menacingly at me, daring me to say something to them. If looks could kill I would be dead. I had a choice. Confront these women or comfort my children. It was obvious these women wanted to fight. I did not give them the opportunity to hurt my precious babies further. I went the other direction to get our things and took my children to the car and let them cry for an hour. When we finally said goodbye to our goats, our tears were all dried up. 

Racism is real and prevalent. In all its evil forms. And unfortunately after a summer of wonder, learning, and joy it tainted our experience. 

The final goodbye. 

J is watching the women who were still glowering at us.

 

Comments