SPEED CLEAN!!!!

I am not a good housekeeper. I did not grow up in a clean house and have never really seen the value. Steve is the opposite. He grew up in a supremely clean house and thrives in a clean environment. I am uncomfortable in a clean house, Steve is uncomfortable in a messy one. You can see how this has been loads of fun to navigate through the years. The truth is our marriage has caused him to be okay with some mess and me to be okay with some clean. That's what we like to call compromise.

Then the pandemic hit. 

Everyone was home. 

All. Day. Long.

Not cleaning.

So imagine my surprise when I was bothered by the filthy state of my house. It came as a bit of a shock that I noticed, but notice I did. 

It took some time to crack the cleaning code, but we are finally in a rhythm. We call it "SPEED CLEAN!!!!!". Approximately 20 minutes before dinner is served I yell "SPEED CLEAN!!!!!" Everyone stops what they are doing and races to clean the house. The rule is everyone helps quickly clean the main areas of the house whether they dirtied them or not. Anyone not helping will be responsible for the entire room. If the house is not cleaner when dinner is ready, dinner will sit on the table and get cold until the state of the house improves. Holding dinner hostage has been a useful motivator. Not sure how long this will last but it has been several months and we are still going strong.

 C takes a turn at the vacuum.

Grease spiraling in a dish soaking in the sink. Who says dirty can't be beautiful?



Comments