We've decided to homeschool

Since the kids came home from school in March, I have closely watched how other countries have responded to the coronavirus in regards to children. It became apparent toward the end of April/beginning of May that this virus was attacking everyone in the world and would not be going anywhere soon despite what various world leaders asserted. I realized there were too many unknowns and as a result would not be safe for children to return to school in the fall even if they managed to open. After much discussion and prayer, Steve and I decided to homeschool. Yep...we have decided to be those people. I was homeschooled from 5th-9th grade and it was a good experience for me. (Thanks Mom!)

Truthfully, though I've always reserved the right to homeschool, I never saw a situation where I would. COVID-19 has changed everything. I do not want my children to go to school with masks, social distancing, terror from sniffles, being force-fed narratives regarding their assumed poor mental health. Nor will I allow my children to be canaries in a coal mine; we do not yet know how this virus affects children on a large scale since most countries shut down schools and are only now starting to reopen. I do not want them to feel like they are in an apocalyptic world. I want them to feel loved and secure. The challenges, hatred, anger, sadness, and fear of this life will find them soon enough. Until that time we want them to be as unburdened from the heaviness for as long as possible.

A word about the pictures: I was reading when the kids came running in and laid face down on my bed. They quietly giggled while keeping their faces buried in the blanket. Eventually they couldn't contain their enthusiasm any longer and burst into peals of laughter that went on and on. 

And why? Just because.



Disclaimer: This is a decision we made for our family and know others will be led in different directions. We know everyone is doing their absolute best during this unprecedented time. We are grateful our situation allows for me to be a full time parent and recognize this is not the case for many. We also know some feel strongly about their children returning to in person classes. We respect everyone's right to choose even when we end up at divergent outcomes.

Comments