They follow me

When my siblings and I were growing up we followed my Mom everywhere. To the kitchen, the living room, garden, everywhere. We wanted to be anywhere she happened to be. At the time she was reserved and preferred to be "behind the scenes" often referring to herself as a wallflower. I thought that was such a strange self-characterization since she hung the moon in our eyes. As a mother to six young kids, she was patient and gentle. While I believe this was her personality, I also think she was trying to balance out my Dad who was not.

Sooooo...I say all that to say this...you want to know when my Mother became frustrated? When we followed her from room to room. Now for the most part she never let us know we were annoying her, but occasionally she had had enough. We never left her alone. She never had a break. And now I know what that feels like. 

I had an epiphany this week. My blessed children were picking at each other and I had spent the day refereeing. I was tired and went to my room to breathe. Five minutes later...C crawled on my lap. Three minutes later...J snuggled into my side. One minute later...M and D tumbled onto my bed. And I could feel what my Mom felt all those years ago. Aggravation, love, annoyance, and gratitude spiraling, twisting in my chest. 

I motioned to Steve to snap a picture because this is real life. It's all the feels and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

 



Comments