Project Protect

My Mom taught me to sew when I was young and it has served me well. I can sew anything as long as it has only straight lines and no finesse. (To her credit she taught me how to sew fancier stitches, but I only excel at simple ones.) So when the opportunity to sew 100 masks for Project Protect opened, I signed up. The tutorial looked easy and said it would take about 10-15 hours. Because we are in the trenches with school I did not start sewing until Thursday night. Big mistake. It was all hands on deck. I had to rope in everyone, but C. The boys turned the masks inside out, Steve pinned, and M cut thread. Steve and I even woke M up at 10 pm on Friday night to help. She went to bed at 12:30 am and Steve and I crawled into bed at 1:30 am. We were up at 7:30 am in order to get them turned in by noon. All told we logged 25 hours.

The crew.

This is how Steve felt about the project.

This is how he would like you to think he felt about the project.

Now it should be noted that afterwards I told my Mom about our efforts and she had excellent suggestions on how to trim the project to 10-15 hours. Sure wish we had chatted about it before we started. We will definitely utilize those ideas in the future.

Comments