General Conference Fall 2019

General Conference weekend found us building forts and harvesting our pumpkins.






As a woman I find many of the messages I hear from men (and some women) leave me feeling like a second class citizen. Throughout my life this has caused me to question social constructs and belief systems and fight for respect and equality. Often I have wondered about a God who allows this bigoted treatment of women. Does He agree with or support it? It's hard to believe He cares about me as an individual when I am surrounded by a world that tells my gender how to think, act, and feel.

Steve recently introduced me to a song by Little Big Town called Daughters. The first time I heard it I cried. The line in the chorus that says, "I'm still looking for the God for the daughters" is compelling and I have spent a lot of time thinking about that statement.

This General Conference weekend was powerful. So many of the talks were meaningful to me, but the one that was an answer to decades of prayer was President Nelson's talk entitled Spiritual Treasures. After his talk, I felt like I could see and feel a God for the daughters and He is right here. President Nelson specifically addressed thoughts, feelings, and experiences I've had and validated personal revelation I've received. I am thankful for a modern day prophet.



A note: I am grateful every day for the women who have fought for equal rights for generations and I hope to one day tell them thank you for their sacrifice so my life could have exponentially more freedoms and opportunities than they were afforded.

Comments