M starts middle school

The day we have dreaded waited for all summer finally arrived. M's first day of middle school. I was homeschooled during those years, but Steve (and everyone else) assures me that middle school years are the worst. As M has told people she is going to be a 7th grader the overwhelming response has been horror. And then they tell her about the nightmares they endured. To those people I say, "What is WRONG with you!!!!???" My child is already freaked out so telling her over and over that she is walking into her own personal hell and there is no way to come out unscathed is completely unnecessary and hopefully incorrect.

One night M and I were chatting and she told me she was really nervous about 7th grade because of all the awful things people said. So I put the kibosh on all the horror stories and rounded up folks who talked about the good experiences and opportunities that come with middle school. Thank you to the people who were part of the positivity campaign!

True to our family, M created a list to help her plan and feel more in control.


Steve, M and I went to the school and walked through her schedule twice.

And then it was time. Dad stayed home because he didn't want to embarrass her in front of the other kids by having a parent walk with her. He thought I should stay home, but rabid wolves couldn't have stopped me from going. M and I slowly walked to the bus stop talking about the new things she would get to try. We saw other parents and children walking to the bus stop and when the other parents stopped on one corner and sent their kids across the street I stayed right with them after giving one last kiss and hug. I watched M walk away from me and begin talking with her friends. I could feel my throat closing and tears welling in my eyes.



At this precise moment, M turns and yells, "MOM!!!! I forgot my schedule!!!!" I calmly said, "Huh. You're going to need that." And then I took off like a shot for home with all the parents cheering me on. I was able to call Steve and he had the computer on when I rushed into the house. Thankfully, M had told me her password the day before so I was able to access her schedule and D ran downstairs to grab it off the printer and I ran back to the bus stop.

Three minutes folks. Three minutes.

I made it back just as the bus was coming down the street. And while some neighbors shook their heads about the misfortune of my early morning run, I was happy because when I gave M her schedule I got one more kiss and hug. And I needed that from my baby girl.


When M came home there was obvious relief on her face. Middle school had been pretty awesome. She knew tons of people and her teachers were fun or quirky. She regaled us with story after story about her new adventures and when my Sister and I asked if there were any cute boys. She told us there were cute boys in every class. We are in a whole new phase of life and we are excited to be here.

Comments