Swim lessons 2019

We had another summer of swim lessons and there were fewer tears than last year which is a win in my book.  M, J, and D are turning into competitive fish.  They are all now on the same level. Let's me breathe a little easier when we are around water. So grateful for that!

Interesting exchange with C this year. He really liked it last year and has done well when we've gone swimming as a family, but he lost his mind during the mom and me class. The second he realized we were getting in the water he commenced screaming, clawing, spitting, hitting...he totally lost it. When he realized I was not going to take him out of the water he began hollering the following:

"I want to nuggle (snuggle) you!"
"I want M!"
"I want J!"
"I want D!"
"I want Daddy!"
"I want my towel!"
"I want to go home!"
"I want to watch!"
"My belly hurts!"
"I'm done!"

It was awful. During the last few minutes of the lesson they allowed free time so we went over to play with the plastic sharks and fish on the steps. He finally stopped screaming and I asked which one he wanted. He sullenly grabbed a shark and placed its teeth against my arm. Here was the dialoge that followed:

Me: Is the shark kissing me?
C: (Silence)
Me: Is the shark biting me?
C: Shark is mad.
Me The shark is mad?
C: Yeah.
Me: Is the shark sad?
C: Yeah. His belly hurts.
Me: Yeah?
C: Yeah.
Me: Is the shark scared?
C: Yeah.
Me: Sometimes sharks are mad, sad, scared, and their bellies hurt.

Then I tried to help him find a happy shark, but he insisted there were none. Only the fish were happy and he did not want to play with them. It seems I have a thinker on my hands.

The next day I prepared for a similar encounter, but he jumped right in the water and had a wonderful time. At the end of the two weeks I asked if he had liked swim lessons and he said, " It's pretty fun. I yike (like) it." And then he nonchalantly shrugged his shoulders.

So glad we only had one day like this.
 
J at the end of his lap.

M and I were in the water at the same time and the boys were in charge of pictures. 
This was the best one they took of M.



By the end C was falling into the water and coming up in a back float all by himself.

J selfie.

D selfie.

Another D selfie.
 

We celebrated the end of swim lessons with delicious Frostys.


Comments