No choir for M

Music is very important in my family. My Dad was a talented singer/songwriter who played guitar and my Mom plays piano and has a beautiful alto voice. Me and my siblings grew up singing in church. Later we would go on to sing in elementary, middle, and high school, college, and in the community. My Brother who did not sing played the cello. Another Brother can play almost any instrument he touches. My point is...music run deeps around here. Which brings me to this post.

I was helping M register for seventh grade (pause for my shuddering sobs) and when I saw choir was offered, I assumed she would add it to her schedule, because...duh. To my great dismay she emphatically refused to participate in choir. Said it wasn't her "thing". Ummm...what? Of course it is your thing. In this family it's everyone's thing. She dug in her heels and so I let her make her own decision even though I wanted her to sing.

A month later we were eating dinner with my family and I told them M refused to be in choir. For a split second the world stood still and then the family loudly tried to convince M how wonderful and necessary choir is. She was caught off guard by the depth of feeling, but stood strong. No seventh grade choir for this girl.

Still...I couldn't let this go without a fight so when I saw an opportunity for her to participate in an eight week show choir I pulled the Mom card and signed her up. She went faithfully, learned the songs and dances, and performed it today. The verdict? She told me she liked it; did not love it, did not hate it, but there was no fire in her eyes. She was miserable. She told me again it was not her thing, but she loves dancing. So it looks like I have a dancer and not a singer. I'm a little bummed we won't get to share choir together, but she is such a fantastic clogger I'm glad I get to see the fire in her eyes when she dances.


Comments