17 year anniversary

We had our 17th wedding anniversary and you know how some people date and have romantic getaways? Well we don't. I wanted  to change that this year so after talking to Steve I asked my Sister to watch the kids so we could stay at a bed and breakfast, see some shows, eat out, and go to the temple.

I should have known we were doomed to fail when Steve came home late from work thereby making us late for My Big Fat Utah Wedding at Desert Star theater. I love a good spoof, but this show made me sad because of the social and political commentary that was included. Steve agreed and pointed out that jokes about green jello with grated carrots has no modern relevance. We live in a time of foodies and the health conscious. We have millions of images on Instagram and Pinterest to prove the point. Speaking of food. my food sat under a warmer making it the consistency of cardboard, but I was always taught to eat what's in front of you so I tried. The potatoes could hardly be pierced with a fork and the pot roast was salty and fatty. Unfortunately it turned my stomach and I was not hungry for the next eighteen hours. So much for eating out.

After the show we headed to the bed and breakfast...it was...not. at. all. romantic. Steve was completely against going to a B&B and wanted to go to a hotel. I just thought it sounded more romantic. I was wrong, wrong, wrong. It was run by an elderly woman whose husband is dead, whose many children do not visit, and who had recently broken her back for the eighth time. (Yes, eighth) Following her upstairs had Steve and I bracing to catch her. She told us she runs the B & B for social reasons and views the guests as family. Truth: our reasons for being there did not align with hers. She wanted to visit with us and tell us her life story and we were there to have sex. Sooooo awkward. We immediately scratched our plans and adjusted our expectations to meet hers. To put this in perspective, it felt exactly like we were visiting our grandma.

Then we went to the Jordan River Temple. This was the highlight. It was the first endowment session and sealings we attended since the new changes went into effect in January. I sobbed from the moment it began. The wording reflects how I feel and identify my worth as a woman within the gospel of Jesus Christ. I wish I had not spent the last seventeen years struggling with the some of the verbiage in the temple, but maybe I appreciate the changes more having struggled so much. I am so grateful that my daughter will have this message delivered in this way. And the sealings? Man, I wish those were the words Steve and I had heard the day we were married. They are beautiful, gentle, powerful, and meaningful. Poor Steve (who thought the changes were cool) was mostly in shock by how affected I was by the whole thing, but he was supportive and sweet. I married a good guy and would do it all over again regardless of what words are spoken.


Steve suggested El Pollo Loco which hit the spot and then we headed to A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder. (Thanks Mom for the tickets to Hale!) It was heavier than the synopsis indicated so I guess I should have paid more attention to the title which says "murder" because there was a lot of it. There were many creative ways to die/almost die. That said, it was an extremely talented cast and the music was a hoot.

My Sister was a sweetheart and agreed to to spend one more night with the kids so we could try to salvage our anniversary, but to no avail. We were not communicating well at that point, but we can both agree romance is not our thing. Good thing we like each other.

Thanks Sister for being so accommodating. And for cleaning up vomit. 'Cause one of our kids totally threw up while we were gone. Dodged that bullet!

Comments