Washing walls

I was doing dishes. All three boys were rough housing and I could tell it was getting out of hand so I knew it was time to redirect them. As I dried my hands and started walking their direction I heard J call C to J and D's room. I made it before C did and opened their partially closed door to be met with D swinging a firetruck at my head like he was wielding a baseball bat. I don't know who was more surprised D or me. Lucky for D he pulled up short and did not make contact. I work really hard to be a reasonable, fair, loving Mom, but you better believe there were some deeply terrifying screams coming from me when I realized they set their baby brother up. (It is important to note they did not plan to make contact with C's body either, but wanted him to scare him by pretending they were going to pummel him with a firetruck. I do NOT understand the boy brain.)

They were immediately repentant, but they crossed a line and there had to be a consequence. Since we don't spank in this house (I reserve the right, it just isn't effective.), I had to come up with a punishment quick. Something they would never do on a daily basis. Something they usually balk at. Something awful that would drive home my severe, stern warning to NEVER!!!!!! treat your brother poorly again. So they washed my kitchen walls. They did a great job and though it was not C's punishment, he can't stand being left out so he pitched in too. Stay tuned for the latest installment of Raising Boys the newest reality drama brought to you by Steve and Allyson.


Comments