Goodbye Romi

I still remember the car ride when we brought Romi home. Steve was driving and I tried to hold onto this squirmy, wiggly, curious, pathetically ugly kitten. We laughed at his antics the entire way. We batted names back and forth but nothing sounded right. It was Steve who suggested the name Romi and only after I loved it and it suited him did he tell me that was the nickname for his favorite sports radio talk show host.

One thing that stands out to me is the hope I felt as I buried my face in his warm, soft fur. Finally I had a baby to love.

Fast forward 13 and a half years...

Since the vet visit in February Romi's health has progressively declined. He began isolating, he lost a lot of weight, there were times he swayed and looked physically ill, and he began having accidents. But it didn't matter how sick he got, he loved us unconditionally. Even though his days were rough, he would perk up every evening to snuggle and cuddle with the kids. Eventually we realized the most compassionate thing we could do is put him to sleep, but it took us months to be able to make the appointment. We love that boy so much.

My Sister came to say goodbye the night before our appointment.




We talked it over with the kids and they decided they did not want to be there when he died. They said their goodbyes before they went to school.




Then it was time to go. Steve held Romi for a few minutes before putting him the carrier.


We waited for the vet and then it was time. Steve picked him up and held him while I gently held his head and told him how much I loved him with tears streaming down my cheeks. Steve placed him on the table and I maintained eye contact with him and told him what a good boy he's been and how he's my sweetheart and how much I love him while Steve stroked his fur. And then 15 seconds after the vet gave him an injection, he closed his eyes, pushed his face into Steve's hand and was gone. The doctor and his assistant quietly stepped out as Steve and I sagged against the table sobbing.



We stayed like that for fifteen minutes and then it was time to bring him home again.

The ride home this time had me driving and Steve cradling Romi's still, lifeless body in his arms. We were silent; the air around us heavy.

We buried him the backyard.


I am so grateful for his little kitty spirit in our home and we are going to deeply miss that sweet boy. Our hearts are so heavy. Our home feels empty.

Comments