Trees

I love big, deciduous trees. It probably has something to do with growing up in Tennessee surrounded by more varieties than I could count. With the yard renovation it gave us the opportunity to plant some trees and that was not something I took lightly. Weeks of research and we finally chose two. For the backyard a Lacebark Elm and for the front a Mimosa.

Except I did not know it was called a Mimosa. Growing up we had one of these and we called it The Snake Tree. It was the greatest tree. Large and multi-trunked with a flat spot right at the base in the middle that made for the perfect hideout. It has the most deliciously fragrant, pink silky flowers and countless leaves were pulled apart and tossed like confetti by me and my brothers. Snakes liked it as much as we did so we would make lots of noise to scare them off. It was also the spot one of our dogs went to die after it was shot, but that is a story for another day. Let's just say I was having all the feels when I spotted a small snake tree at the IFA.

Tonight Steve and D dug a hole and planted it while I looked on. My kiddos are so excited for this tree to grow and are already hoping for some of the adventures my brothers and I had.



M kept C busy while Dad and D dug.

One small pink flower blossomed a few weeks after being planted and we all cheered.

Bringing home the Lacebark Elm.
Who needs a truck when minivans have such remarkable capacity.

The Lacebark Elm planted. 

Comments