Pumpkin creativity

M is a creative soul who loves science experiments and craft projects. She frequently comes to me and asks to use some random thing in the house and then turns it into some masterful creation or epic fail. Either way, she learns. I love this about her. Last night she found a magazine article that showed how to decorate a pumpkin using nail polish and today she asked if she could do it. I said yes. She asked to use a bowl so I told her to grab one from the pantry. An hour later she shows me her pumpkin, bowl, and hands covered in nail polish. And that is when it occurred to me that I should have asked more questions starting with...what do you need a bowl for? But it was done now, so I praised her, took some pictures, and had her try to clean the bowl. Why you ask? Well, because she happened to grab the only bowl I cared about.

You see...growing up, my Mom had a yellow strainer. I helped cook a lot and used it often. When I was getting ready to leave for college, she took me shopping for kitchen items and I found a yellow bowl that I knew would remind me of home. A few years ago my Mom gave me the yellow strainer from my childhood and I loved seeing the bowl and strainer nestled together on the pantry shelf reminding me of different layers of my life.


And now M had inadvertently ruined the yellow bowl. So...that happened. No use crying over spilled milk...or should I say, spilled nail polish?


In other news, she had a great time and she was very proud of her pumpkins this year.

The inspiration.

Her finished product.

The pumpkin she carved with her friend.

Also, she gave us a sneak peak of her Halloween costume on her way to a party. She wanted to be a ninja and she has some pretty stealthy moves.


Comments