The Great American Eclipse

Apparently people from all over the world had been watching and waiting for years for the 2017 total solar eclipse to hit the United States. Somehow I missed all the hullabaloo and almost missed eclipse. Thankfully my friend who is a science teacher gave me an energetic lesson about how it would be a travesty to sleep through it. She had ordered NASA glasses a year ago and brought them to us with strict instructions to use them appropriately and excitedly. And I'm going to say it...I thought she was a weirdo...until I saw the solar eclipse. How totally cool was that? We spent the day at home in the backyard on blankets, slathered in sunscreen, and staring at the sun. It looked like cookie monster had taken a bite out of it. While we did not see totality what we got to see was pretty dang awesome. My favorite thing was how still the earth became and how cool the air got when the moon passed in front of the sun.



Steve put a pinprick in a business card and showed the kids the eclipse shadow. They were impressed.




I learned later that you should not take an unfiltered picture with your camera. Oops. I guess I got lucky my camera wasn't damaged. Cool thing though...the small reflection of the eclipse that showed up on this picture.

Thank you Friend for getting weirdly enthusiastic and supplying us with glasses! I would have been so sad if I had missed this.

After watching the majesty of the earth and skies we celebrated with grilled hotdogs and roasted marshmallows. A family favorite.




Comments