Grotto Falls

We were trying to figure out what to do with our last Saturday before the start of school and I decided to show Steve what a hike looks like to me. After some research I chose Grotto Falls and it was absolutely perfect. I would describe it as a short, beautiful nature walk. It is a well traveled trail that we happened to catch on a light traveler day. Steve was a good sport about it even though he was bored out of his gourd.


After a lovely jaunt on a wide yet winsome path you round a bend and find a secret grotto.


D was more brave than the rest of us.


So many logs and boulders to climb on!

So much water and mud to goosh through!

A woodland critter that is smaller than me and thus not intimidating!




I love that I was able to take this picture. After reading all the reviews it seemed there would be no time for quiet appreciation. But patience paid off and I was able to be there for ten whole minutes by my lonesome.


On the way back the kids and Steve found a divergent trail that took them twenty feet above the path.


It led to a steep hill and Steve showed the kids how to conquer it. C loved the bumpy ride down.

D was quick to follow.

J made his own journey.

And M thought J had found the perfect way down.

My happy, filthy babies.


You want to know else made this the perfect outdoor adventure? It started to sprinkle on the way out and by the time we got to the car it was an absolute downpour. My idea of a perfect day!

Once home we pulled out the volcano grill for some custom cooked hotdogs.

C stayed safely inside while the grill was hot. He watched us with his face pressed against the glass.

Lunch was delicious.

No BBQ is complete without roasted marshmallows.

And the day ended with all of us laying on the grass watching the clouds go by.

Today was perfect. Low key. A taste of nature. Us and the kids. Everyone happy. Full bellies. No dirty dishes. Pure, sweet, laid back summer day.

Comments