M is 10

M turned 10. (I know you are all saying "Whaaaaattt???!!!!" I know I am.)

As per our family tradition, she chose the events of the day. Since her birthday last year she has talked about going to a trampoline park. (One of my worst nightmares. In my line of work I see an endless number of individuals with back injuries, broken bones, and traumatic brain injuries from trampolines. They are the Devil's playground I tell ya.) M was insistent so I made everyone pinky-swear they would follow all the rules and attempt no flips. My children were compliant. My husband was not. I pulled him to the side several times to tell him to knock it off, but to no avail. And we had a great time until M rolled her ankle twice and Steve hurt his back when he landed wrong after slam dunking a basketball into a net. He says he forgot he was 41 instead of 21. *sigh* Still, it was all fun and games until the injuries.


Then she wanted to go to Bahama Bucks for delicious coolness. She thought it looked awesome when I went with the boys, but wanted to try it for herself. She was a fan and it made her forget about her twice rolled ankle.


Then home for grilled hot dogs. Then to a splash pad. Then home for hamburgers. Then my Mom and her Husband brought her a birthday gift. Then we watched Goosebumps while eating candy. As our day was wrapping up, Steve asked if she wished she celebrated her birthday with her friends and a party. She looked at him confused and said, "No. I like family birthdays". Not sure how long that will last, but it was music to Daddy and Mommy ears! At the end of the day she declared it the perfect birthday.

But my head is spinning. Raising M is going so fast. She is growing into a kind, thoughtful, smart, beautiful human being. Truth: Steve and I can only take a third of the credit. Another third is her. And the last third is her birth family. I thank my Heavenly Father for her and her birth family every day. Our lives are forever blessed because of those two thirds.

Comments