Sewing a button

In many ways Steve's and my relationship is traditional. He works during the week, I stay home and take care of the kids, cook and clean. On the weekends, he takes over caring for the kids and home and I go to work. He and I are completely capable of taking care of both work and home responsibilities. I tell you all that to say this: because I married a capable man I refuse to do certain tasks like sewing a button on his shirt. For several months he has been asking me to sew a button back on his shirt. I said when he is ready to learn to sew it on himself I will be ready to teach him. (To be clear, he told me I needed to sew the button because that was my job as a woman. So so so unwise. Don't get me wrong. In a pinch I will totally help, but for me to sew while he relaxes on the couch...ummm...no. We are equal partners.) So against his will tonight I taught him how to sew a button on his shirt. He did a fabulous job and rather than give that man a button which will hold until the next time one pops off, he will be able to sew all buttons on his shirts from now until the end of time. What a gift.



He was not thrilled with my impassioned monologue. Still stellar job, Babe! Love you!

Comments