Salt Lake Culinary Center

I had a conversation with the kids earlier this year and asked what they would prefer from their grandparents for Christmas-toys or experiences. They chose experiences. So I talked to the grandparents and they gave our kids some pretty awesome opportunities that they are excited about.

And today was M's gift...a cooking class at the Salt Lake Culinary Center. M was on cloud nine. She chose a day of royal cooking that included cottage pie, spinach souffle, and queen of puddings. She had an awesome time and I was so impressed by the setup. So stinking cool. She would love to do it again. She looked fabulous in her apron and I would have loved to have taken a hundred pictures, but here's the thing...I forgot the camera. See, I don't have a smart phone. Mine is about eight years old and Steve has begged me for years to get on board with smart phones, but I have not seen any use for them. Until today. I was so sad that I missed this picture opportunity that I told Steve tonight that I might, maybe, someday in the distant future, could possibly be interested in an iPhone.

I warned him not to get too excited and jump the gun because I could see the wheels in his head turning. After an hour he quietly told me Best Buy was running a special plus giving away a $200 gift card with each phone purchase. (He was speaking to me in the same soft voice someone uses when they are trying to sneak up on a skittish animal and the man knows I am a sucker for a deal.) Eventually, I agreed that he could go get one for me. He zoomed out of the house like a bat from the underworld. He came home, played on the phone for a few hours and then at 11:30 pm as I was heading to bed I grabbed my old phone and said goodnight. He looked at me confused and asked what I was doing with my old phone. I looked at him like an idiot and told him I was going to bed. It was at this moment that he tells me my old phone no longer works. WHAT!!!! I was not ready to use the iPhone. I just didn't want to miss out on a good deal. I thought he was just purchasing it and when I was ready in the future to use an iPhone, I would be prepared. I was not ready and I was angry. And where is the ceremony where we lay my old phone to rest? He tricked me. He tricked me with a good deal. I went to bed and cried. (I realize this sounds extreme, but there you have it.) He claims I should have known that him buying it meant that the service would be switched over, but how would I know that? My phone is eight years old. I have never done this before. And people buy phones from private sellers all the time and set them up at their own convenience. And by the way, in our marriage I have asked for all kinds of things to get done which he passively aggressively refuses to do, but the one thing I mention as a possibility in the distant future is completed in three hours.

So I have an iPhone and I'm upset about it and Steve has not won any points in my book today.

Goodbye old phone.

Comments