The view up here

While Steve has held C every day, he has graciously insisted I take the bulk of the time. I know I have been selfish with him. From the moment I pick him up I am keenly aware of every second ticking away each one faster than the one before. I have never known time to fly in a hospital until now. I know it is important for Steve to have more time with him so he holds C for much of our visit today.


I look out the window and see the sprawling University of Utah campus. Steve and I have been together nearly fifteen years. We started life in married student housing at the U and spent six years obtaining our Bachelors and a Masters degree. We have so many happy memories tied to the U.


When we met, Steve was indifferent to being a Dad. I told him that was fine, but I was going to have 12 kids and if he wanted me he needed to get on board or find somebody else. I don't know why he chose me after such a passionate declaration, but he decided life with me sounded like an adventure. And it has been. I mean it when I say it has never been dull. Some of our adventures have been grand and romantic. Some have been wild and silly. Some have been peaceful and calm. And some, like the one we are having right now, have been scary and sad. We have talked through the years and decided that I'm the one that sets sail and chases (or attracts) the adventure, but he's the anchor. He is my calm in the storm of life and I would be lost without him. As I look at the view from C's window, reflecting on our time together and knowing the challenges we've faced, I know I would choose Steve all over again.

Comments