Painful reminders

The nurses tell us C is a very social newborn. He wants to be held and talked to and does not like to sleep because he is afraid he'll miss something. The nurses tell us they would love to sit and hold him all day because that's what he wants and it is not often they have a full term, healthy newborn in the NICU, but they can't because of the needs of their other patients. It hurts to hear that C is laying in his bassinet wanting someone to talk and play with him. He has two parents and three siblings who are dying to love on him.

As his bowel is healing he is also realizing he is hungry. The feeding tube goes directly into his intestines so does not know what it feels like to be full. We are told that most babies struggle with sucking after a surgery like this because they have a huge tube going down their throat which triggers the gag reflex. C is an anomaly. He relies on his pacifier for comfort and he loves the sugar water they have started dipping it in to keep him interested. I don't love that he is getting sugar water, but I don't have a say.

Steve took the pacifier out of his mouth so I could take a picture and C showed his displeasure by furrowing his brow. Every moment he is awake he wants the pacifier in his mouth, but because of the Anderson tube he has a difficult time keeping it in.


Leaving the hospital, Steve and I have a conversation about how we are going to handle this next week. He goes back to work tomorrow. I am sort of able to get around the house and take care of small tasks, but I'm going to miss how his presence calms me throughout the day.

I look around the house once we get back and see the balloons and banner that were supposed to welcome C home from the hospital. I hate them. I would have destroyed them the second I walked in without the baby, but it would hurt the kids feelings so I try to ignore the constant reminders.



Please bowel...please heal so C can come home.

Comments