Meeting C

I have been so devastated by the fact that M, J, and D have not met C that Steve suggested it was time to bring the kids to the hospital for a visit. The NICU allows two people by the bedside so we decided to take turns. Before we left I showed them a picture of C and we talked about each tube coming from his body, what color it was, what it did and what sounds they would hear.

We let the kids decide what order they would see him and with which parent. D went first and chose me. He was nervous and did not want to hold C, but he could not take his eyes off him. We stayed for a few minutes and then D held tightly to my hand as we left.


M was next and also chose to go in with me. She wasted no time and wanted to hold C immediately. She was not intimidated by all the lines and medical equipment. After 15 minutes she was still going strong, but it was J's turn so she gave him a kiss and told him to get better quick so she could hold him some more.


J chose to go in with Steve. He was very reserved and did not want to touch him at all, but he watched C very closely while Steve held him.


After Steve and the kids got their turns, Steve took them down the hall to watch a movie while I got to snuggle with C. While I was doing skin to skin the nurse practitioner came in to talk about a concern. I explained Steve was down the hall with our kids and she granted special permission for him to bring the kids to the bedside during the ten minute discussion. It was hard for me to listen to what she was saying because all I could think about was that we were finally together. When she was done talking she asked if I had any questions. I said, "Yes. Can you take our picture"?


Those ten minutes were the first peaceful ones I have had in ten days because we were finally all together.

Comments