D is four

D is four and I cannot believe four years have passed since his birth mom placed him in Steve's arms while we spent the last few minutes with her. She wanted placement to occur at the hospital and she wanted to walk out of the room and leave us behind. When it was time for her to catch her flight, I walked her to the door, my heart too full to speak. She looked me in the eyes and told me we were "good people" and to "please take care of my boys." Then she turned away, her eyes dangerously close to tears. I closed the door and let my own hot tears course down my cheeks. How my heart ached for her loss and I felt like I was walking on sacred ground as I turned back to Steve cradling that sweet little boy.

Adoption is bittersweet. Both our birth moms placed their children with us because they wanted them to have better lives than they could provide even with assistance, but the decision was gut wrenching and not one that either of them made lightly. Both of our birth moms love their children dearly and if circumstances had been different, adoption most likely would not have been considered. As parents, Steve and I feel strongly that we have an obligation and sacred privilege to try to maintain a line of communication between our children and their birth parents. There are questions that only their birth parents can answer. They are their link to another dimension of their heritage. Our children deserve to know where they began and I feel humbled that we were chosen to be their parents. I thank Heavenly Father for my children and their birth parents every day.

On a lighter note, we had a wheat free chocolate cream pie for D's fourth birthday (so that J could have a slice as well) and after a rousing "Happy Birthday" song, we dug in with gusto.



Happy birthday my Sweet Little Boy! You keep me on my toes. I love your laugh, your belly, your toes and your zest for life.

Comments