J is a preschooler

I knew J would start preschool this year and I have been terrified because of his food allergy. After doing some research, I found someone who taught out of her home and agreed to work with J, but a few days before registration needed to be completed, she sent me an email saying she was uncomfortable accepting him because of liability. While I totally understood and was glad she was forthcoming, my heart was broken because he was so excited and most of the preschools were full.

I was desperate to find a teacher that would take J and make him feel part of the group while completely isolating his food intake. That is a tall order for most everyone. After a tearful night of internet searching and lots and lots of prayer, I compiled a large list of regional preschools. The next morning I called the first one on my list and explained I had a son who was allergic to wheat, barley and kiwi and wanted to know if she had any openings and if she would be able to accommodate food allergies. She cheerfully stated she had one opening left and food allergies were no problem because she has them herself. She told me there was no reason J had to miss out on things other kids got to do. I asked if I could supply all the snacks for the year and she said yes and reduced our monthly tuition. I started crying on the phone (I am no crier.) and thanked her profusely. Plus she is two minutes away from where we live. (I'm getting choked up just writing this.) This was a miracle and blessing for our family.

Today was J's first day and that boy was on cloud nine.




It was weird to drive away and have only D with me. D was weirded out also, but he quickly warmed up to having Mom all to himself. Have fun at preschool Sweet Boy!

Comments