M's baptism

We belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and turning eight is a big deal in our religion because it means you can be baptized. This is the age that Jesus Christ has designated as the age of accountability - basically you know right from wrong and can accept responsibility and modify your behavior.

Several months ago I started talking with M about the covenant of baptism. (A covenant is a two way promise between you and Heavenly Father and baptism is the first covenant we make as members of our church.) I told M that while she could be baptized at age eight, she did not have to be because she needed to know and be willing to make and keep her baptismal covenants. (There are three...be willing to be bear the name of Jesus Christ (act as He would act), be willing to bear one another's burdens, and bear testimony of Christ.) She never told me yes or no so I kept teaching about baptism and then telling her she could wait. I scheduled it so she could have the option either way and then about two weeks before the big day when I asked if she wanted to be baptized she rolled her eyes, threw her arms in the air and with an exasperated, "Mom, you are driving me crazy" voice yelled, "I WANT TO BE BAPTIZED". Now was that so hard?

In Utah there are a million kids, so baptisms are done once a month for a small group of children who are from the same "ward" which means they are from the same geographical location. The families usually divide the program. That made me sad because I wanted this day to be focused on M and her covenant. Turns out the other kids who were scheduled for the same day had other commitments and it was just us. What a thrill! Steve and I let M plan the whole program. She wanted her Grandmothers to speak, her Aunt to pray and her other Aunt to sing. Her Grampy and Uncle would assist Steve during her confirmation which is the blessing that gives her the Gift of the Holy Ghost to be her constant companion. Steve would baptize her and I would say a prayer.

A special touch of the day...M was baptized in the same dress I was baptized in when I was eight. My Mom made it for me and finished the night before. Because it had never been washed, it floated to the surface two times and since we believe in baptism by immersion, I had to be dunked three times before everyone was pretty sure it had stayed down. I was able to wash the dress prior to M's baptism and made sure she and Steve practiced tucking the dress between her knees just to be safe.

The day was more wonderful than I could imagine. M was ready and excited. The Holy Ghost was strong and there was such a sweet spirit. The program was flawless and everything went smoothly.  It was absolutely beautiful. We missed the people who were not with us, but if J wants to get baptized when he's eight, we'll meet up then!





M, What an incredible blessing to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This has been an amazing gift in my life. I am so happy with the decision you made to be baptized and have the Holy Ghost as your constant companion. Live righteously so He can be there to lead and guide you throughout your life. I love you, Baby Girl.


Comments