The birth of a goal

M has been clogging for two years and she is a natural. (Honestly, she's a natural at everything she tries.) I have loved watching her dance and improve each time she performs. I have not pushed her because I wanted her to fall in love with clogging and I could tell she was having a good time and wanted to keep it that way. At the year end recital she was in four dances and knew each one of them forward and back. She was spot on with her steps and timing and she even remembered to smile. At the end of the night they handed out an award for Most Outstanding Dancer and this what they said, "Tonight's winner is one of our younger cloggers. She knows all the dances and is a leader on her team. Whenever a new step is introduced all the dancers try it out and when the teacher asks who did it best of all the class says, 'M'!" M won Most Outstanding Dancer!!! That's my girl! The screaming from our family section was outrageous. No good pics because I was too busy screaming my head off, but what a fabulous night!


Now, here is the interesting thing. I watched a goal birthed. (Too visual?) Anyway, winning a 2.5 foot trophy caused a switch in M's mind and a fire in her eyes. She clogs constantly. Suddenly my little girl has decided she will be a champion and she is not willing to accept anything less. She is now telling me she will attend competitions and be the best. I've been trying to encourage balance and remind her that simply continuing to move forward and improve is a win. She tells me she is listening, but I can see a faraway look in her eye and I know she has her goal in sight. She reminds me of me.

Comments