Ute basketball

Steve and I have been talking about taking the kids to a University of Utah basketball game so when an opportunity opened up he jumped and got some tickets. Only problem was he didn't talk to me first. I am a planner and he told me about the tickets a few hours before we had to be there. Lemonade out of lemons, right? Wrong.

So let me break down the evening. I rearranged plans. His parents fed Steve and the kids while I tied up loose ends. I drove to Salt Lake. We met up and drove to the U only to learn campus parking for the game has changed in the last few years. We were stuck in the car for a half hour searching for a parking spot. We finally parked at the stadium and since I did not want to wait for the train, began hiking at full speed to the Huntsmans Center. I completely underestimated that endeavor. I did not factor in 1) walking in the cold 2) my asthmatic son 3) walking/running uphill 4) no sidewalks on that side of campus 5) potty training D 6) the 10 minute march that stretched to twenty.

We arrived at the game 45 minutes after tip off, which happened to be 15 minutes before their regular bedtime and just a few minutes before half time. We sat in front of four of the nicest drunk men we have met. Truly, they were very nice. When they saw our family coming one gestured wildly to the others and loudly stated everyone needed to watch their language. It was very considerate and something that usually doesn't happen with Utah fans. They kept the swearing to a minimum and by the end my kids stopped jumping every time they screamed at the refs.

Eyeballing the gentleman behind us.



A couple classic moments from the game:

D enjoyed himself and clapped and cheered and bounced along to the fight song.

J was staring off into space so I asked what was wrong. 
J: It hurt my feelings. 
Me: What? 
J: Running up the hill. I don't like running up the hill.
Me: Should we go to another basketball game? 
J: No, we should watch a movie about it.

I take every opportunity to teach in the moment which includes teaching M the rules of basketball. You know, rebounds, fouls, free throws, trash talk. I didn't want to be too confusing so I decided to see what she had already picked up. She had already figured out the white team was Utah so I began referring to Stanford as the red team. At one point I said, "The red team is trying to get the ball back". She looked at me and cool as a cucumber said, "You mean Stanford"? Yep. That's what I meant.

We decided to take the train back to the stadium and it was as we were waiting for the train that D announced he had to pee. So I did what every mother would do in that situation I pulled his pants down and I threw a diaper on him while he stood in line.

Crisis averted.

Gauging M's reaction to the night.

Yes, I know I'm the only one smiling. It's because the night is almost over.

When we finally got on the train, J smiled for the first time all night. After we got in the car I asked him if he liked the train or the game better. He said, "I was just teasing Mom. I liked them both." Could have fooled me, Buddy.

What a slam dunk of a night. Go Utes.

Comments