13 years later

Happy Anniversary to us! 13 years. Some magical. Some not. But today I tell you a story from our past.

When we were engaged I loved planning our wedding and had very few melt downs, but one of them was over the wedding cake. We'll skip the gory details, but the end result was Steve chose how the cake was decorated and two of the three flavors. It was three tiered and the bottom was carrot, the middle chocolate, and the top was the one I wanted - apple spice with Bavarian cream. Now my family does not base much of what we do in tradition where Steve's family enjoys tradition. It was only after our wedding that Steve told me I was not allowed to eat the top level of the cake because we had to freeze the entire thing until our first anniversary. This seemed asinine to me. Why would we freeze a perfectly delicious cake? The answer? Tradition! (Cue Fiddler on the Roof) So to show my new husband that I loved him, I agreed to freeze my cake.


We defrosted the cake on our one year anniversary. It was freezer burned and gross and we threw away the entire thing. Some of you may be asking why we didn't freeze a small piece instead of the whole thing. Well, where were you thirteen years ago when I was staring at Steve dumbfounded and could not form a coherent thought? I really could have used you! Needless to say, I was cross and it has come up periodically through the years that my sweet husband forbid me to eat my wedding cake.




So here we are thirteen year later and he comes home late from work and gives me this card.



And then I walk in the kitchen and see this.


My unromantic Sweetheart did one of the most romantic things he has ever done. He dug around in the basement until he found our wedding album and cake topper and then he contacted a baker and had our wedding cake recreated. Now it is true he did not remember it was apple spice with Bavarian cream, but he did remember spice was in there somewhere, so this go around it was a spice cake with cream cheese. It is the thought that counts and he won some serious points with this gesture.

Then...


Now...






Thank you to my Mom and Sisters who took shifts to watch the kids so we could have a date!

Thank you to my Sister who was our photographer for the evening!

And thank you Steve, for such a sweet and loving thought and action. I love you and I like you and I am glad I married you.

Comments

  1. Oh, my word! That is probably the single most sweet thing I have ever heard! That Steve! What a guy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment