The sex talk

I consider myself exceedingly blessed to have a Mom that sat me down at eight or nine years old and talked to me about sex and made it very clear that she was always available to answer any question at anytime of day regarding the topic. Through the years she was an invaluable resource and I will be forever grateful for her straightforward, non judgmental approach. Recently, I asked her why she chose to be so open and she told me it was because her mother had done the same with her. My grandmother was born in the early 1920s and on her wedding night she determined that no child of hers would go into that experience unprepared. Thank you, Grandma for the gift of truth.

My work as a social worker has shown me that not all young people are as lucky as me and I have met several teenagers who have become suicidal because they are sexually active and do not know how to tell their parents because they fear it will destroy the relationship. What a tragic and unnecessary life ending event.

Last summer I had several conversations with adults in my neighborhood who had no idea how to talk to their youth about sex and decided because it was uncomfortable they would not address it at all. I was horrified and being a woman of action I approached the bishop of my LDS ward and asked if I could prepare a presentation for parents on How to Talk to Your Kids About Sex. He immediately approved the idea and was grateful because it was a much needed discussion.

After months of research I finally presented on what is undoubtedly one of the most divisive topics within our LDS community. There were 70 people in attendance and the feedback I received immediately afterward was encouraging. What has thrilled me more is the feedback that has trickled back to me about how families are changing the conversation in their homes. Like the mother whose daughter thanked her for being open and honest. Or the parents who, though terrified, talked to their children all together and it brought them closer together as a family. Or the leaders who were empowered to address rape and sexual abuse with the youth. Or the parents, who speak about sex openly in their home, who learned different techniques that would help clarify a principle for their children. Or the relief parents have felt because they finally have a plan, tools and resources.

This is an ongoing conversation every parent should be having with their children. We live in a world where our children receive so many messages about sex they do not know what to believe. Please give your children truth. It's what they deserve.

If you would like me to present in your area, let me know. Send me an email through the profile page. It's an hour long PowerPoint presentation and every individual who interacts with children and youth would benefit from the information.

Allyson

Comments