Sounds to Astound

As you are aware, I am always striving to provide educational opportunities to our children even if this means we have to travel into Cougar Country to do it. Some friends who attended BYU eons ago highly recommended a free presentation put on at BYU by science students as part of the school's outreach program. Though I do not enjoy science, M does. So we went. Now here is something you need to know about me. If I am not 15 minutes early, I am late and the more time crunched I feel the more upset I become. So the fact that traffic was a bear, BYU has no parking, we had no idea where we were going, and I made our kids sprint for a full ten minutes while shouting at passing students "Where is the Eyring Building?!" made for a tense beginning to the presentation. For the record we arrived exactly at the start time while gasping for air. And have I mentioned J has asthma? Good times.


Unimpressed with the forced march.


So there we are waiting to be astounded and you know what? It was kind of cool. M loved the experiments showing how sound travels using strings, vibrations, and dancing fire. It was an entertaining evening and we even got to see some cool things like the anechoic and reverberation chambers which measure how sound travels (or doesn't) in a room. However my favorite moment was when they announced that all children two and younger must leave the room and they passed out ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones. Why? Because of the exploding balloons! Loved it!


Well after a long trek back to the car we decided a milkshake was in order. Now Steve can only be in Provo so long before he becomes antsy. Not a BYU fan. I repeat. NOT a fan. I could tell he had met his quota for the evening when, as we sat in the drive thru, M started reading all the BYU propaganda and J began repeating it. After a very short time they realized it was bothering Dad so they upped the ante and J began chanting, "Go Cougars"! Steve replied (half joking/mostly serious) "Watch your mouth"! and J muttered "Watch your ears". Best response ever. Even Dad thought so.

Comments