The harvest continues

Rather than give you the play by play of the garden (which is a big part of our lives every summer) I decided to pull all the pics into one post. You're welcome.

Our first carrots.


Corn fresh off the stalk.


Avoiding the garden.

More carrots.

Still avoiding the garden.

We planted Brandywine tomatoes which is an heirloom variety and they were so flavorful, yet mild. A definite must grow again in the future. I also tried growing greasy beans (Grandma's favorite) and cut short beans (Grandpa's favorite). They are two varieties indigenous to the Appalachian mountains. They are the only kind my grandparents grew and the taste and texture still stand out in my memory. I learned they take a ton of water so next year I will do things differently. The few beans that grew were unbelievable crisp and delicious.

We learned that each strand of silk on corn pollinates individual kernels. This one clearly was not completely pollinated much to M's delight.

The harvest continues...


Comments