Ogden Temple open house

We are members of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and temples are an important part of our doctrine. The Ogden Temple recently underwent a complete overhaul and had an open house for the public before its rededication. We were so excited to be able to show the kids what a temple looks like inside since only older worthy members can routinely go inside. So excited that I may have forgotten to feed them before the hour long tour. I realized my mistake the second we were walking into the waiting area and all three children loudly stated they were hungry. Well, temples are a place that are quiet and peaceful. They are also not a place for snacking so there were no options other than toughing it out. My 2 and 3 year olds were not big on that idea and let me know by wailing.

Then there was the footie fiasco. Thousands of people walk through the temple during the open house so everyone wears footies over their shoes to keep the new carpets clean. Not my boys. Such ear splitting screams you can only imagine. We finally had to wipe their shoes off with wet wipes.

The temple was beautiful inside. Stunning. The Celestial room was unique with intricate metal half pillars near the doors. There was a sweet and calm spirit in the building. We kept looking up and pointing out all the intricacies and light fixtures. At one point D pointed to a plain florescent light fixture in a stairwell and oohed and ahhed like he had seen Steve and I do throughout the tour. It was heartwarming. I am sure I would have been more aware of all the detail had D not been trying to literally climb the walls. He found a way to get a foothold on the trim and up he would go. A regular spider man.

Once outside D promptly threw a tantrum on the ground until I rounded up some granola bars. The night ended with a trip to the grocery store for an on-the-go dinner which they cheerfully gobbled up. Another Mommy life lesson learned. Regardless of my forgetfulness I am grateful for the opportunity to have been inside Heavenly Father's sacred home and I am grateful that my children could be there. I know that no matter how we act He is just glad we came home.

D is not a team player when he is hungry.


Water fountains have a way of cheering up the crowd.

Comments