Family retreat

Here is the family drama in a nutshell. My little sister met who she thought was Mister Right only he was Mister Very Wrong. They dated for nearly a year and she lost some of her spirit. And then they got engaged and she lost even more of her spirit. And then she completely lost her spirit and I completely lost my mind and threw a fit all while pointing out how very wrong he was and how absolutely fabulous she is and how she deserves the world and how he is no good and how she isn't herself anymore and that was because of him and I missed her and he was bad and she needed to have goals and dreams and he is a dream squasher and a control freak and the list goes on and on just like this sentence. End result: she voiced concerns to him and the engagement was over. In the aftermath my brother and sister-in-law suggested we all get away to a condo in St George the weekend she would  have been married and distract her from the what might have beens.

The condo was amazing and we loved it. Great find sister-in-law! Gorgeous views, spacious, clean, homey, fully furnished, complete with games and toys. Having a full kitchen where I could cook meals for J made food prep nearly stress free.


We went hiking in Snow Canyon and found Jenny's Canyon to be a huge favorite. It is a short walk to a small slot canyon that is cool even in the blazing heat with lots of room to climb and sit. We also walked to Pioneer Names where pioneers are said to have written their names in axle grease, but we didn't see a one.














We went swimming and that was a blast. D was trying to jump in the deep end and did not want to take a picture.


The kids enjoyed the splash pad.





We went shopping at the Yard Sale Co. This place was a treasure strove of awesomeness and I want to go back and spend hours hunting through the piles of junk for the perfect find. It was especially fun to go with my Mom who kept seeing things from her childhood and telling us about how things like ice cube trays used to work. Did you know they used to be heavy, wide metal trays with a removable divider? Steve did not share our enthusiasm.

My Mom thought is would be nice to have the kids ride the carousel, but my boys came unglued and my sides hurt from laughing as I watched Steve and the boys suffer.




We explored the Children's Museum where payment is optional. It was a place my kids could have gotten lost in for hours. I was very impressed.





My Mom got us tickets to Little Mermaid and M was in heaven as she watched Ariel and all the sea creatures come to life right before her eyes. Thank you Mom!



We sat around and did nothing and talked and laughed. One night we played "Last Word" and "Taboo". There's nothing like a word game to stir up the competition in my family.


In the end it was a fabulous unplanned get away and I am so glad we were all able to be together regardless of the reason. In other news, my sister feels like she dodged a bullet. And that's because she did. Glad to have you back, kiddo.


Comments