Merry (early) Christmas!

My family celebrates Christmas early.  It just seems to work better for everyone. We met at my Mom's house and ate pancakes with blueberries, whipped cream and syrup.


 This was followed by some spirited gift opening.

Squirrel earrings. Yep. Someone actually thought this was a good idea to make and my sister thought it would be a perfect Aunt Hildegard gift. In truth, they went perfectly with the dress she wore.

Steve gave my mother slippers. But these were no ordinary slippers. These were light weight, hygienic, absorbent and handmade. From sanitary napkins.

We had been hoping my brother and his family would be able to come from sunny Las Vegas, but their flight was canceled because of wintery Salt Lake so they joined us via FaceTime. M got to help open their presents. (Bummer you guys couldn't come!)


Then it was time for a wonderful ham dinner and sitting around talking and enjoying the thoughtful gifts that were given.




The day ended on a high note. Have you ever heard of cricket flour? No, this is not a joke. I suppose some individual was tired of having his crops eaten and decided turnabout was fair play. After mulling over the possibilities, the Cricket Bar was born and it was our opportunity to eat it.



After initially refusing, Steve joined the party.


Here was our review...

Flavorful...the ginger really shone through.
Unusual texture...could have been the dates.
Overall...we were eating ground up crickets and the thought was disturbing. My sister had to brush her teeth immediately afterward. My Mom and I were troopers and contemplated the grittiness that clung to our teeth with incredible tenacity for an extended period of time.

Thank you for a wonderful Christmas!

Comments