A turkey brined

In honor of my Mom's birthday I tried something new. Brining a turkey. It was an experience.

The night before we made a salty concoction and unceremoniously dropped the bird and the brine in a bucket to chill in the garage by our salty cars.

 

The next morning Steve had to stand on a stool to pull the saturated bird out of the bucket and plop it into the sink to drain.


The kids had varying reactions...M thought this was a sad day and should be mourned, but J was excited by the thought that dinner had marinated all night in a bucket.


A word about brining. It wasn't spectacular, though I think it could be. We'll try some things differently next time. Sure enjoyed the adventure.

Sadly we were unable to share the turkey with my Mom because a snow storm hit with icy vengeance, but we stopped by the next day to rip out carpet in preparation for a new floor. I wasn't able to get a picture with all the helpers, but this was the best pic of the bunch.


Happy birthday, Mom! Sorry we couldn't be there. I love you!

Comments