Lesson learned

I have never forced M to sit on Santa's knee. Though I thought it would be adorable, she is one reserved gal and forcing her to sit with a complete stranger seemed cruel. So through the years I have warmed her up to him. We have seen Santa at the mall several years in a row and each year we get a little closer. Last year I think she may have waved to him from fifteen feet away, but I can't be sure. This year she caught me completely off guard when she declared she needed to tell Santa what she wanted for Christmas. I waited a few days to see if she changed her mind, but she became more insistent as Christmas Eve loomed near. Because this was a momentous event I took care to make sure the kids were free of snot and boogers just in case a camera happened to appear. M was excited from the moment I told her we were going to see him. She was excited in the half hour car ride and she was excited as we stood in line. As we got near I pointed to him and said with wonder in my voice, "Look M, it's Santa Claus." She quietly studied him and looked me in the eyes and said, "I don't want to see Santa today." Now I am a reasonable gal so this was our conversation:

Me: What did you say?
M: I don't want to see Santa.
Me: Well, Honey, we just drove a half hour because you wanted to tell him what you want for Christmas.
M: I changed my mind. (Said slow and deliberately because apparently she thinks I'm an idiot.)
Me: Babe, we are here because you wanted to come so now we are going to talk to him.
M: I changed my mind. (Said more slower and more deliberately because she thinks I'm a raging idiot.)
Me: Well tough tookies, Sweetheart. I will go up with you, but you are talking to Santa today. (This is said sweetly, but firmly as we are within earshot of a bored looking camera girl.)

At this very moment, it is M's turn. The walk up to Santa seems long especially because I am practically dragging my five year old while trying to navigate a double stroller all while smiling and talking in a sing song voice, "Hi Santa. This is our very first visit to see you. We are so happy to see you even though we are a little nervous." I felt like an idiot.

Turns out Santa (or the man playing Santa) looked to be in the throes of congestive heart failure complete with sweat and heavy, labored breathing and he was in no mood to be trifled with. He absolutely refused to talk to my kids unless they were touching him and when it looked like J wanted to sit on his lap and I unbuckled him from the stroller it was really to make a break for the door and from the very intense Man in Red. Thankfully it was a short visit in which M managed to tell him she wanted a doll. All kids came out with chocolate suckers which they could not have unless they took it from Santa himself. Wow. That was not the experience I was looking for, but the kids never suspected a thing.


Now here is the lesson learned. We get our kids one present which comes from Santa and I did not get M a doll. As we were leaving she pointed to a Disney princess and said, "That's what I asked Santa for." Great. Now what? Give her the one present I had already purchased or the one present she had asked Santa for three days before he was scheduled to arrive? Ultimately, I bought the doll. I didn't want to destroy the magic of Santa the first year she talked to the guy. Next year, if she is willing, I will take her to see him at the beginning of the season so we can hunt for good deals. Santa is cheap after all and apparently suffering from congestive heart failure. Who knew?

Comments