Crime and Punishment

My sister does her laundry at our house. One day I came home to hear a horrible grating sound coming from the dryer. We stopped it, found bobby pins, and took them out. Not a big deal. A couple days later she was sick so I sent her home and finished her laundry for her (because I am an amazing human being). But there were more bobby pins and this time they got stuck in the drum causing even more grating. I was chill about it but asked that she make a serious effort to remove all paraphernalia from her pockets in the future. I mean, a dryer is not a cat so I'm not sure how many lives it has.

The very next week she came to do her laundry and there were no apparent problems. Until I tried to dry my clothes. Suddenly the dryer would not dry anything. I called her up. She claimed ignorance. I believed her. I called Steve. He didn't believe her and insisted she broke it. I defended her.

After two weeks of Steve and I trying to figure out whether to fix it or replace it, I finally convinced him to repair it. He called a repairman who explained how to dismantle the dryer and check the heating coil. Steve dismantled it. Repaired a part and found an extra wire in the machine. He couldn't see where it might have disconnected from so he took it to the repairman who was very good at his job and told Steve it was an underwire for a bra. Oh. Well. That was awkward.

Steve showed me the underwire and where it had severed the heating coil. My sister came over and I told her the tale only to have her say she knew her underwire was missing and she was too afraid to tell me because of the recent bobby pin incidents. Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been a long time since I have yelled that loudly at her. See, if she had told us immediately we would have been able to remove it and possibly saved ourselves some cash and heartache. Maybe not. But maybe. We'll never know. One thing is sure. She must be punished. And so when it was good and chilly I sent her out with a load of wet clothes to dry on the rack. I hope your fingers are freezing young lady!


In the meantime, Steve fixed the dryer. As he is not a handyman I was a wreck and believed our house would burn to the ground, but he did an amazing job. In fact, if I wasn't so terrified of losing our house I might have thought it was sexy.




Comments