My first 5K

I hate running. Though in a different life I believe I would have been a wonderful addition to the high school track team. Weird, I know. Anyhoo as I was saying...running...not my thing. So imagine my own surprise when several months ago I flipped through a newspaper and learned of a 5K race called Man vs Mud which was clearly calling my name. Yes there was running, but there was MUD! 3.10686 miles filled with thick, sloshy, filthy, oozey, sludgey, slick, wet mud. Did I mention the 30 obstacles? Can we all say Dream Come True?

I knew selling this mud idea to Steve would be a stretch especially after I called him and excitedly told him about the race only to hear a lukewarm "Let's talk about it". So after great thought I decided to invite all my siblings to join us thereby allowing Steve zero wiggle room. (Isn't marriage fun?) Of course all my siblings jumped at this incredibly fabulous idea and Steve found himself roped into a muddy family vaca in Logan, Utah. He eventually warmed up to the plan and he even came up with our team name - I got worms. Catchy, no?

Folks, I present official (and not so official) race photos from my first (and quite possibly my last) 5K. And let me add - We had the time of our lives.

















A noteworthy moment: Turns out my sister in law is sensitive to smells. We learned this in "the trench" which was by far my favorite obstacle. We sloshed through a trench filled with thick muddy water that came up to my neck. The ground was uneven and at times it was difficult to get your footing. My brother (her husband) was leading the way, she was next, and then me, followed by everyone else. So stinkin' fun for everyone except her. She cried and dry heaved through most of it. My brother did portions of the trench backwards because he had to talk her through it and when she wasn't looking he gave me shocked and bewildered expressions which made me scream with laughter. When we got out I asked her what she thought she had signed up for with a title like "Man vs Mud" and she said she thought the mud would be clean. She may never live this adventure down. Welcome to the fam!

To be fair, the obstacle that froze me and some of the other siblings was a 15 foot tall rope wall that we had to go over. I went first and when I got to the top I stopped. I hate heights. Sincerely hate them. I think I might have even said, "This is stupid". I know I thought it. The people running the obstacle had to talk me over. They also had to talk my sisters over. At one point when one sister got stuck our now fearless sister in law helped rescue her.

The 5K was definitely more fun and less run and an absolute blast.

Of course we stayed in Logan for the rest of the weekend. Here are some other fun things we did.

D's first swim. Sure he looks upset, but he loved it.

We walked the campus of Utah State University.







Treasures from USU campus.



Completely done with the walk.


We visited the Martin Harris grave site in Clarkston, Utah.
D was asleep in the car.

We packed a lot into our weekend like a trip to Preston, Idaho to see the DI where Napoleon Dynamite was filmed (Steve's idea) and Richmond where Pepperidge Farm has a plant and a discount store. We also ate some amazing crepes at Citrus and Sage and to die for papusas at an El Salvadorian joint. And now would be a perfectly good time to thank my Mom. Mom, thanks for watching the kids and our wedding rings while we reverted back to childhood. Though I clearly took zero pictures of you (and I know how disappointing that is) we could not have done this trip without you!

To the rest of the siblings...I GOT WORMS!!!!!!!!!!

Comments