Ten year review

This post is a month late, but that does not mean I have forgotten that last month was our tenth anniversary.

Steve and I went to San Diego for our 4th anniversary and had a grand time. At the time I talked to him about returning on our 10th to stay in the Hotel Del on Coronado Island and walk the beach hand in hand and roast marshmallows after dark on the sand. That sounded pretty dang romantic and he completely agreed. So that was the plan.

Ahhhhhh...the best laid plans of mice and men. We never made it to San Diego. Why? I give you...

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

So how did we spend our 10th? Well, Steve went to work, while I juggled three kids and made a scintillating Salisbury steak for dinner. And then we ate it and grinned at each other and made this list of the things we have seen and done together over the last ten years.

Accomplishments
Added three kids (and two birth moms)
Four college degrees- 1 Associates, 2 Bachelors, 1 Masters
Bought a house (Lived in U of U student housing prior.)
Two cars (We have owned 6. Toyota and Honda are our faves.)
Two high school reunions
Two cats

Challenges
Infertility and Adoption
(Both are difficult, but there is joy in adoption.)

Places we've been
Badlands
Bryce National Park
Chicago
Cumberland
Detroit
Ford Mansion
Goblin Valley
Grand Canyon
Hancock Building
Hell, MI
Hoover Dam
Lakes Michigan, Erie, Huron
Mike the Headless Chicken Festival
Mt Baldy
Mt Rushmore
Nashville
New Year's Day Fiesta Bowl U of U vs Pittsburgh Panthers
River boat cruises on the Provo and Cumberland Rivers
Sundance Film Festival
Wall, SD
Walmart Headquarters
Winter Quarters
Zion National Park
This list is not at all inclusive, but these are the first that came to mind. Ahhhh...the memories.

States we have traveled to and through
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Virginia
Wyoming

Temples we have seen/attended
Bountiful
Chicago
Detroit
Draper
Idaho Falls
Jordan River
Mesa
Mount Timpanogos
Nashville
Oquirrah Mountain
Provo
Salt Lake City
San Diego
St George
Winter Quarters

Fun facts
If you have seen Ray and Debra in Everybody Loves Raymond you have seen us. While there are some differences, the similarities are overwhelming.

For the second time in our marriage, we work for the same employer.

Our favorite venue for plays is the Pioneer Theatre Company.

We root for the University of Utah, but while Steve is a Ute through and through, I still have strong Snow College Badger ties.

When Steve drags his feet about one of my effervescent ideas I sing "Every party needs a pooper that's why we invited you!" I chant it often.

When I invade Steve's personal space he gives me a quick squeeze and says, "Mmmkay." He says it often.

When we are parking Steve circles the parking lot passing up perfectly good parking spots in search of the perfect one. While he does this I hum "Blue Danube" to keep myself sane. I hum it often.

When Steve and I decided to get married we liked each other a lot, but we were not head over heels in love. We both approached marriage with the idea that we could make it work because we knew one another's faults and could live with them. It was a decision made with our heads with a little heart mixed in to make it fun. So in our house when we are irritated or want to make the other roll their eyes we sing, "Do you love me?" from Fiddler on the Roof. We sing it often.

You know, life is not like we planned. We are not debt free anymore, I work, and our house has yet to be decorated just to name a few things we did not anticipate. However, life has dished up some pretty sweet things, we have traveled quite a bit, we adopted the most amazing children ever born, and even though our marriage was made with our heads, it didn't take long for our hearts to follow. I think that is the sweetest surprise for me after 10 years, Steve. I love you and I still like you. How 'bout another ten?

Comments

  1. Love this post! My husband also circles the parking lot passing up perfectly good parking stalls! Congrats on 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post. Happy Anniversary!
    And the boys look lot alike in their baby photos don't they!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment