My handyman

I am going to start this post by saying I love Steve. He is a wonderful, kind man who loves me and the kids without measure and I am glad I married him. There. Now we can get on with the story. When I got married I had this dumb idea that my man would be the rugged, linebacker, logger, Neanderthal type who was constantly telling me to toughen up while ripping down trees with his teeth. I thought this could be used to my advantage for household projects and since I would rather be the one delegating projects than doing them I used to daydream about all the excuses I would use like, "No honey, you go ahead and plow the furrows for the cornfields while I admire you from afar. Besides I would just slow you down." or "No sweetheart, please don't show me how to change the oil because it will give me the opportunity to check out your huge muscles." There is no way I am going to pay someone to do something when I know for a fact we can do it ourselves. So imagine my surprise when I married a really wonderful man who would rather call a repairman than build or repair things himself. Here is how projects get done in our house. I say something like, "Hey Babe, I think we need to rip out the back patio." And when he doesn't get the obvious hint months later I say, "Hey Babe, will you rip out the back patio?" And when that doesn't work months later I say, "Hey Babe, do you know where I can find a sledge hammer? I am going to rip out the back patio tonight." This, without fail, works on Steve. The only way I can appeal to his manhood is to remind him of my womanhood and my stubborn streak. But today we are not discussing back patios or sledge hammers. Today we are talking about shelves. We have lived in our house for six years and for six years I have wanted shelves in our storage room. Initially I wanted prefabricated shelves, but that was out of the budget so it was time to build them. After an extremely long time and lots of begging, pleading, and threatening Steve finally built them and I have to say they look great. Babe, you did a fabulous job. I love them. They meet our needs perfectly. Now about that back patio...


Daddy's little helper.

Comments