Carl Bloch


We finally celebrated our anniversary by going to the Carl Bloch exhibit at the BYU Museum of Art. I am not really an art connoisseur. I am the person who looks at art and wonders what in the world I am supposed to be seeing, while pasting a contemplative look on my face in case anyone glances my way. I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I don't want anyone to know that. I was a little concerned I would not have anything to hold my attention at the Carl Bloch exhibit. I should not have worried. I don't have words to describe the feelings I had while looking at his work which is probably what he was hoping for. He is a master painter. I felt like I was there in his work seeing the fisherman's wife come to life, or kneeling next to the bed of Jarius' daughter, or watching in the dark as they took they Savior off the cross. Every brush stroke told a story. Sometimes I felt like I was looking at a photograph. The painting that had me riveted, however, was one I had never seen before called Garden of Gethsemane.


I felt like I was in the garden with Him watching the most selfless act known to mankind. It felt personal, intimate. We had the iPads and listened as Elder Maxwell talked about the Savior's sacrifice. For me. I never wanted to leave. What a beautiful experience. What love Heavenly Father, Heavenly Mother, and our brother, Jesus Christ, must have to give everything to us. They only ask for worshipful gratitude and kindness to others in return. I will gladly do that.

Comments