Bittersweet 100

DAY OF TRUTH--I do not like to blog. There. I said it. I am only bringing this up now because this is my 100th entry. Hence the title-pretty cool to make it to 100, but it would be cooler if I liked blogging. And now that the truth is out, I will proceed with the Utah State Fair.

We went with my family to the Utah State Fair on Saturday and I should have taken more pictures of my fam, but I was loving everything the fair had to offer. In my heart of hearts I am a country girl and I love 4-H competitions and livestock auctions. I love the straw, dirt, and grime that clings to you as you sweat in the hot sun during a hard day's work. Not surprisingly, this does not appeal to Steve. He is from the city and thinks there is great value in air conditioning.

We started off the day with pig races brought to us from the great state of Arkansas. Loved it even though our pigs never won. What a show!


Then on to the butter sculpture. I can't remember the exact poundage, but it takes about 700 pounds to create this masterpiece.


We got to sample some of the Champion Canner's items and can I just say her dill pickles, strawberry rhubarb jam, carrot cake jam, and mustard pickles are out of this world.


There was an awesome hands-on kids exhibit where M could walk through and pretend she was a farmer and then buy an item with fake money from the sale of her harvest. She had a difficult time maneuvering the tractor, but collecting eggs and apples was a cinch.


We watched as goats were judged and that was fascinating. I loved it because it was super serious. Everyone had their goats on chokers and it could have been a dog show the way they were parading them around the ring and putting their best feet forward. Had my attention the whole time.

Now people take showing their livestock very seriously. We watched cows primped for their big moments and it has been the only time in my life when I wanted to touch a cow because it looked so soft.



We learned sheep feel like car upholstery when they are shaved and groomed and can be auctioned for about $700 if they have the right bloodlines.




And we were reminded that pigs reek. I don't know why something that tastes so delicious must stink so badly.


We ended the day with a family BBQ. Steve manned the grill and we all went home sweaty and grimy, but with full bellies.

Comments