Steve's March Madness Bracket Rant

Normally I'd write about something cute that M did, however, the current outrage of the day deserves some attention and hopefully agreement from most of you folks.

Who is Butler? Did anyone see that coming! What about Northern Iowa? Cornell? How many of your brackets look like garbage? Surprisingly, even with these upsets mine looks pretty decent, considering. Which brings me to my real beef. In my group on CBSsports.com I have the most picks correct of any player. Three more than the current leader in fact. But, do you think that would merit me being in first place and the eventual champion? No, because of some stupid weighting system. This means that someone who knows absolutely nothing about college basketball can pick a few upsets and choose some dark horse to go far in the tournament and end up winning it all, all because the teams with lower seeds are given more weight in points if they end up winning. I've participated in a few of these tournaments in the past and the victory goes to the person who gets the most picks right. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? Well, apparently not in this silly game. Please drop a line if you agree. If not, I can't help you.

And another thorn. I wish BYU would opt out of this tournament so I could get a better shot at picking a first round winner. Last year, because of BYU's lack of success in the NCAA tournament, I decided that maybe they were due a second round visit. So, I picked them. Big Mistake. They messed up my bracket. This year, I decided after last years painful blunder, I would take my chances with the Gators. What happens? Cougartown goes berserk. Steve gets disappointed by his arch-rival yet again. I guess for fairness' sake, I should mention that my beloved Utes did not even get invited to the NIT. Sad.

Comments